Fredericksburg is one of the best Texas Wine Country destinations but it’s not just for wine lovers. There are plenty of family-friendly things to do in Fredericksburg to keep everyone happy! Here are our 9 favorite things to do in Fredericksburg, Texas this summer, so you can be sure that you’ll have a great time no matter what your age or interests.
When visiting Fredericksburg, you are sure to have a great time with all the family-friendly activities available. One of the best things about this town is that there’s something for everyone in your group!
Fredericksburg has plenty of attractions and events designed especially for people under 18 years old but they’re not just child friendly–they also offer so much fun even adults will love them too. There’s no better way to spend an afternoon or evening than checking out one these amazing activities:
Family-Friendly Fredericksburg Favorites
- One of our favorite family-friendly things to do in Fredericksburg is to watch the free concerts Downtown. Every Friday night, there are great live concerts at Market Street. There’s tons of food and drink options for adults as well as a big playground area for kids to play on while you enjoy the show!
- Eat your way through Main Plaza Market Square’s Food Hall – Whether you’re looking for Tex-Mex or burgers with fries, there’s something here for every taste. You’ll also find unique finds like boba tea or crepes. The market square provides seating outside (as well as inside) where kids can play while parents eat their lunch break away in peace.
- For older children who want some more adventure try the Fredericksburg Skatepark, home to a free outdoor concrete riding surface located in Old Fair Park.
- And if they want to get wet then head over to Pedernales Falls State Park where they can splash around with friends in three different pools.
- Visit the Texas Hill Country Lavender Farm – If you’re looking to spend more time outdoors then head on over to the Texas hill country lavender farm where there’s lots of things to see like petting zoos or hayride tours. And if your kids don’t want to leave they have just about everything made out of lavender!
- Go on an adventure at Lost Maples State Natural Area – Known for its old growth trees that turn a brilliant gold color in the fall, there’s also plenty to do like bird watching or hiking through the valley.
- If you’re looking for something less touristy try visiting Gristmill Park where visitors can experience what life would have been like during the 1800s by grinding their own cornmeal, seeing how grain was processed into flour and making their own tortillas.
- Another great place for kids is the Texas German Society where they can learn about Texas history, do crafts and play games in the outdoor amphitheater with friends or make new ones at one of their many social events! With a whole host of Texas German food, activities and information on Texas Hill Country history they’re definitely worth checking out.
- If you’re looking to stay active then head over to Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course – The city of Fredericksburg brought Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course back to life with a $2 million renovation in 2012. It is one of the best municipal courses in Texas and earned a “Top-5 play” designation by Golf Advisor raters.
- If you want to get your adrenaline pumping then visit the Texas Hill Country Skydive Center (skydivingtexas.com) – They’re licensed and insured with over a decade of experience operating in Fredericksburg, so no matter how many times you jump they’ll make sure that it’s a safe trip every time!
- If you’re looking for something less touristy try visiting Gristmill Park where visitors can experience what life would have been like during the 1800s by grinding their own cornmeal, seeing how grain was processed into flour and making their own tortillas. You also get free access to all other attractions in Fredericksburg including hiking trails or even going bowling if they’re feeling adventurous!
- One of our favorite places for Arts in the area is the Hill Country Arts Foundation! With live performances, exhibits, workshops and classes for adults or children there’s plenty to keep everyone entertained no matter what their age group while discovering new things about art, creativity and just life as well. And if that wasn’t enough they also have theater performances so be sure not to miss it!
- Don’t miss the fresh Peaches at one of many roadside farmer’s stands. One of our favorites is Das Peach Haus at 1406 S. US Hwy 87.
If you need more family-friendly things to do in Fredericksburg (I can’t imagine why, but…) to plan the perfect day out then head over to Fredericksburg’s Official Visitors Site and use their comprehensive list of attractions, events, hotels and restaurants in the area.
The Fredericksburg area is a great destination for travelers of all ages with something to offer everyone. Whether you’re looking for family-friendly things to do or more adult-oriented attractions, be sure not to miss this Texas Hill Country gem in your next vacation plans! And if you need a place to stay in the Texas Hill Country please consider our short term rentals in the Boerne & San Antonio area.